Sunday, September 9, 2012

Scotland: the people

Have you ever thought about the moment when we meet someone new? Isn't it a fascinating idea, becoming acquaintances with someone new, an event that sets up the basis for which an entire relationship is built upon, whether it is healthy or not. What questions do we ask? What pieces of information do we gather from each other? In this social-interview, what do require from the other person? What do try to gain from that interaction?

Being abroad has made me realize that we have a lot of power when it comes to how we present ourselves. Will we choose to close ourselves off, or will we choose to put ourselves out there? And if we're putting ourselves out there, how much of ourselves are we throwing out there? I could choose to spend all day long in my room, never see much of Scotland, and not meet any of the locals or any of my flatmates. i have the power to make my self unavailable to these people, and most of the time, it would be the easy choice. thus far, something i've learned about myself is that I don't like the feeling of being alone. I am not comfortable in my own mind. To be left alone with my thoughts is one of my greatest fears. And frankly, I need to get comfortable with that.

A great friend helped me realize (over a pint of Stella...which by the way tastes so much better in Europe for whatever reason) that I am doing this for me. This experience is not for anyone else to have, just me. And so the choice to put myself out there (rather than close myself off) is one that holds a bit more gravity than it did before. Will I introduce myself to whomever I can? Will I make lasting friendships despite the fact that I am only here for 3 months? What am I willing to do (or give out) to make this experience count for something, for myself?

So you do the usual dance. The Introduction: My name. My country or origin. My plans in Scotland. What i'm studying (Three courses, and the best schedule ever). How I'm liking the country so far.
And I ask them about themselves. Something I've never been good at. Because they are part of what makes this experience count.
I'm getting good at the dance, and the people i've met are awesome.

So here's the condensed version of the semester so far:
1. Edinburgh is beautiful. And the Queen has a beautiful boat, and thankfully, she is willing to share it with the public every once in awhile.
2. I'm part of the MacDonald Clan. Giddy-up.
3. Seeing people who comfort you is a wonderful feeling. Like a breath of fresh air when your flat smells like baking soda.
4. UK mail takes as long as the waitresses take to give you your check over here.
5. You can survive on 5 quid a day
6. Money matters when you have no other options.
7. Clubs are NOT my scene, and they're terrifying.
8. There's a difference between great strangers and strangers who have ulterior motives(like an interest in the girls at the pub with you). Know the difference.
9. Words that are meant to hurt when shared from back home hurt more while abroad.
10. Sunglasses in Scotland can make you look like an asshole. But you get past it.
11. You can't always escape the things you've left behind. Don't assume it's that easy.
12. My flatmates are the typical first-years: full of hope and desire to make an impression. I hope they know that they're making an impression on me.

Until later,

No comments:

Post a Comment